No one ever really expects to be injured at work but it happens. In 2013, there were more than three million illnesses and injuries that occurred in workplaces across the country. If this has happened to you, you may not know where to turn. There are things you can do to help your workers comp claim be successful.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries. The very first thing that you need to do if you have been hurt at work and that is get started on the medical treatment you need. There are a few reasons you need to do this right away. In the first place, doctors and other medical professionals can do more when you see them right away after you have been hurt. Next, you can use the documentation you get from your doctor and the hospital to make your workers comp case a lot stronger. If you take too much time going in for treatment, you will hurt your case. Just be careful about what you do after you see your doctor.
- Follow the advice of your doctors. If they say that you should not go back to work, then you should not go back to work. The insurance company may send people to check on what you are doing and it will not be good for your if they discover that you are not following the advice from your physicians and other medical professionals, such as physical therapists), to a t.
- Let your boss know. This may not be a conversation you are looking forward to but if you have been injured on the job, you have to let your employer know what happened. The rules and regulations on workers comp cases differs from state to state but there are always deadlines that you need to meet. if you do not tell your boss in time, you may lose your right to even file a workers comp claim so, to be on the safe side, tell them right away.
- Pay attention to the care you are receiving. If you have to go to a doctor who is approved by your employer’s insurance company, you may find that they have somewhat of a conflict of interest. They may be more interested in “toeing the line” than getting you the treatment you need. If you do not think you are getting the right treatment, look into your options to change doctors. Just make sure you keep all of your paperwork and notes from the physician’s office.
- Talk to a workers compensation lawyer. People who work at workers compensation law firms are experts in getting workers comp claims succeed. Most law firms that work in this area of the law will offer prospective clients a free consultation. Take advantage of this to go in and talk to a few law firms about your case and your chances of success. It may be in your best interests to hire a lawyer to help you with your claim. They can help you get all of the paperwork done correctly and get it filed on time. It takes only a small mistake on a form to delay your case.
- If you need to appeal a decision, you may need a workers compensation attorney. If you go it alone and your workers comp claim is denied, you have not reached the end of the road. This is another time when you may want to seek out help from a workers compensation lawyer. Many of these claims are denied the first time they are reviewed so do not lose hope if this happens to yours. If you have a lawyer to help, you will have a chance at success when your claim is reviewed.
When you are injured or made ill at work, you have rights that you may not be aware of. Seeing a lawyer to talk over your workers comp claim can do a lot to help you better understand what your rights are and what your employer is obligated to do. Most states have requirements for companies to have workers compensation insurance. By hiring a qualified law firm, you can really get the help you really need.