You have always been one to take responsibility for your own actions.
You have never been one to blame someone else for the mistakes that you have made.
You are in a situation, however, where it is necessary to speak up for yourself, in an effort to make sure that you are able to recover from a situation that you had no control over. In fact, everyone who witnessed the accident says that there is absolutely nothing that you could have done to avoid the distracted driver who ran the red light and smashed into the driver side of your car. Traveling at a rate of speed that exceeded the limit by at least 25 miles an hour, the impact of the crash could have been fatal. And while you are thankful for the fact that you survived, the doctors have told you that the road to recovery will be a long one. At least two of the specialists have warned you that you may not ever reach a complete recovery when it comes to running and playing basketball.
So while you are always willing to take responsibility for your own actions, you need to make sure that you do everything in your power to find the resources that you need. Some initial calls to personal injury law firms have helped you understand some of the options that you have, but it is important that you make some very careful decisions if you are going to have a chance to recover mentally and physically, as well as financially.
Personal Injury Law Firms Provide Experience That Can be Helpful to Their Clients
Finding personal injury lawyers who are experienced in the kind of help that you need can help you understand the options that are available to you. Without their help, in fact, you might find yourself unprepared to face the offers that the person or group responsible for the accident. The lawyers of the person causing the accident may try to act as if they have the victim’s best interest at heart, but the reality is that they are only thinking about limiting their risks.
Consider these facts and figures about the many times when victims find themselves in need of a personal injury attorney:
- Nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics in the year 2015.
- Drugs other than alcohol, both illegal and legal, are involved in as many as 16% of crashes involving motor vehicles.
- Although still a problem, the percentage of drivers using handheld cell phones or other electronic devices has dropped from 3.3% in 2016 to 3.8% in 2015.
- In 2015, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured, a number that was a 4.3% decrease from the 92,000 in the year 2014.
- 95% to 96% of personal injury cases are settled pretrial, often thanks to the help of an attorney.
Personal injury law firms have the experience that many accident victims need. In fact, it is often in your best interest to make sure that you find someone who is experienced in the kind of accident that you have had, and to consult that person as soon as possible so you understand the options that are available to you.